The Garden State
Compare New Jersey Auto Insurance Quotes From Multiple Companies
New Jersey Auto Insurance
New Jersey is a place many people choose to call home because of it’s east coast charm, and to experience all four seasons every year. However, these seasons can cause sleepy drivers in the summer and dangerously icy roads in the winter. Add that to the usual road hazards and it’s easy to realize that Auto Insurance is a smart investment. It’s also required by New Jersey law for drivers to carry it.
Auto insurance rates in New Jersey can vary more than you might think from one insurance company to another. That’s where Auto Insurance Specialists can help!
Try our simple form for an AIS Instant Quote®. This quote will be a range of our Auto Insurance partners' rates for the coverage you select. You can even pick the price you like, too.
Required Auto Insurance in New Jersey
Two types of Auto Insurance coverage are required in New Jersey: Liability Insurance and Personal Injury Protection (PIP). Liability Insurance protect others in the event of an accident you cause. It would pay, up to the policy’s limit, for damages that could include property damages, pain and suffering compensation, lost wages, medical bills, car rental and more. Personal Injury Protection pays for medical treatment that you and anyone named in your policy would require, up to your policy limits.
State Minimum Coverage Liability Coverage in New Jersey
- BI or Bodily Injury: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident
- PD or Property Damage: $5,000 per accident
State Minimum Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage in New Jersey
- PIP or Personal Injury Protection: $15,000 per person per accident
To learn more about specific Auto Insurance coverage, visit our Car Insurance Coverage page.
Optional Coverage in New Jersey
Though you must fulfill New Jersey’s minimum requirements for Car Insurance, you should also consider additional options to add to your policy, as well higher Liability Insurance limits. These additional options and higher limits could save you from serious financial problems if you are involved in an accident.
Below are some examples of optional coverages and limits you may want to consider:
- Collision Coverage*: If you are in an accident involving another vehicle, this insurance will help pay for damages to your own car, minus your deductible. Car repairs are costly, and the national average repair costs are close to $3,000! Choosing to drive without Collision coverage could cost you thousands out of pocket.
- Comprehensive Coverage*: Not all car damage is caused by other vehicles, so you should be prepared for natural disasters, hail damage, tornados, flood and more. With this coverage, you would be protected from these kinds of damages, after your deductible.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Though a suspended license, traffic tickets and heavy fines are all potential penalties for driving without insurance, many people will still choose to drive with no protection whatsoever. Uninsured/Underinsurance Motorist Coverage will help you pay for damages that were caused by a driver who is not properly insured or that is uninsured completely.
- Higher Bodily Injury Limits: If an accident you were involved in resulted in injuries, medical bills can quickly add up. Depending on the extent of those injuries, that $15,000 minimum per person may be depleted quickly. Additional BI coverage could protect you from potentially insurmountable costs.
- Higher Property Damage Limits: Though New Jersey has its minimum $5,000 property damage requirement, that figure is pretty low in the grand scheme of car accidents. After car repair costs, you may be required to pay for damage to fences, light poles, buildings and other property damage. That minimum amount could be used up fairly quickly, and you may find yourself in a situation in which you’ll be responsible to pay for the remainder out of your own pocket.
*Although Collision coverage and Comprehensive coverage are not required by law, they may be required in your car loan or lease contract with the lender.
Although you aren’t legally required to carry these levels and types of coverage in New Jersey, AIS highly recommends that you consider them for your policy. One of the best ways to determine your specific Auto Insurance coverage needs is to call one of our licensed, knowledgeable agents.
New Jersey is a No-Fault State
To reduce long and costly court battles, some states implemented a “no-fault” system. This means that regardless of who is to blame for the accident, your insurer will pay for your damages resulting from that accident. In exchange, you give up some of your rights to sue the other person involved. A modified no-fault system is one in which your insurer would pay for (up to the policy’s limit) your economic damages, but you could sue for non-economic damages.
New Jersey is one of the few no-fault states in the country, but it is also considered a “choice” state. It gives you the choice to be insured under a pure no-fault system or a modified no-fault system. For additional clarification on the differences, and which one you should opt for, call an AIS Insurance Specialist to fully understand your options.
Most Stolen Car Models in New Jersey
If you own a car that is highly targeted for theft, you may find that your Car Insurance rate is increased. According to www.nicb.org, these are the top 10 cars that were stolen in New Jersey in 2017:
- Honda Civic
- Honda Accord
- Ford Pickup (Full Size)
- Dodge Caravan
- Nissan Altima
- Toyota Camry
- Ford Econoline E250
- Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
- Ford Econoline E350
- Toyota Corolla
New Jersey Auto Insurance Discounts
Because Auto Insurance can be a great help in protecting you and your family, it is important that you choose the right policy for you. There are so many variables that may impact your insurance rates, so you should be aware of, and take advantage of, all the discounts for which you qualify.
Below are some of the discounts you should ask your agent about:
- Safe Driver
- Good Student
- Accident Free
- Multi Policy
To learn more about specific discounts, visit our Discounts page.
For warm weather beaches to delicious produce, New Jersey is a stunning living locale. But just as in any state you choose to settle in, there are hazards on the roads, and Auto Insurance is designed to make paying for any mishaps much more manageable. Having a reliable resource at your service could make your Car Insurance search easier. AIS can be that source for you! Call us today to see how we can help with your New Jersey Auto Insurance needs!